COMPETITION PURPOSE, GOAL, AND PRIORITY
- The purpose of this competition is to encourage the creation of new works for Wind Ensemble.
- The goal is to identify several works that the Valley Winds can premiere in a live performance setting.
- Additional consideration will be given to works that are not overtly virtuosic in nature. While the Valley Winds is an exceptional ensemble, the goal is to premiere works that are accessible to professional and collegiate wind ensembles.
- Scores, midi renderings and applications must be submitted by May 31, 2021
RULES AND GUIDELINES
- Submitted works must not yet have received a public performance
- The Valley Winds will have world-premiere rights for all submitted works through the conclusion of this competition. Premiere rights for all non-awarded works will be released back to the composer on August 1, 2021.
- The Valley Winds will have premiere recording rights for all Prize-Winning compositions.
- Compositions shall not exceed 10 minutes in length. There is no minimum length requirement.
- Determinations of the evaluation panel are final
- Composers must submit the following by the application deadline:
A digitally-rendered, transposed full score. Use of notation software is required.
A midi rendering of the selection.
- The work must include the following parts (* indicates parts that are likely to be doubled)
Flute*: 1st & 2nd
Oboe: 1st & 2nd
English horn (optional)
Bassoon: 1st & 2nd
Eb Clarinet (optional)
Bb Clarinet*: 1st, 2nd & 3rd
Bass Clarinet: 1
Soprano Saxophone (optional)
Alto Saxophone: 1 if using soprano sax, 2 if not using soprano sax
Tenor Saxophone: 1
Baritone Saxophone: 1
Bb Trumpet/Cornet*: 3 to 6 independent parts
French Horn in F: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th
Tenor Trombone: 1st, 2nd (optional 3rd)
Bass Trombone: 1 if using 2 tenor trombones, none if using 3 tenor trombones
String Bass: 1
Percussion: up to 5 players including timpani (optional)
- Percussion parts may include more than one instrument, but each part must be logistically and musically played by one player.
- All standard battery, mallet, and auxiliary percussion instruments acceptable.
All questions about this competition can be directed to Tony Brackett, President of The Valley Winds, via email@example.com